I'm not particularly techy, at least not as much as a lot of people I know, but I have my fair share of wicked tech toys - namely my LX3, my iPhone, and most recently, my Flip & the best of the lot yet, my Kindle. I don't know why I haven't actually bothered to buy it any sooner - the Kindle is a fucking gem.
So it all started when I realised that on top of the books that line the shelves in my room, my brother's room, I have three full boxes of books under my bed and I still needed more books, but I haven't got any more space. When I was on my way to Bali, I was seated next to a 15-year-old kid who was casually pouring through a J.K.Rowling on a pretty little gadget while I was thumbing through my completely dog-eared Murakami. That's when I decided I had to look into getting a Kindle.
With the help of the people I know who already own a Kindle in Singapore, this guy's blog and very helpful individuals on Twitter, I now own the most useful gadget I've ever had my hands on. It's quite surreal, because the screen looks like you're reading on a paperback; which is of course, probably the selling point of a Kindle. I've brought it to the beach, and the screen is good under sunlight, or low light if you're reading under a night light in bed.
How to Buy the Kindle:
Make your life easier and get order through a middle agent, like HopShopGo. It's less of a hassle than having to purchase giftcards, etc. If you don't already have a Paypal account, sign up for one, then sign up for an account with HopShopGo. I opted for the fastest shipping, and the Kindle got to me within six days of my placing an order on the website.
After You Receive Your Kindle:
* Buy a virtual private network from AlwaysVPN. A virtual private network is a network you switch on when you want to make a purchase from Amazon - this network gives you a US IP address. * After you're done installing the VPN on your computer, exit your browser, switch on the VPN and then register your Kindle.
Once your Kindle is registered, you're ready to roll!
To Purchase / Download Books:
- Make sure your VPN is switched on.
- Buy a gift card using your local credit card and send it to your email address. Make sure you remove your credit card information under "Manage Payment Options" after you're done with your purchase.
- Once you receive it gift card in your email address, apply it to your account and you can get books downloaded to your Kindle!
- Classics are free, and you can download PDFs into your Kindle too. If you're using a Mac, it's just dragging and dropping. If you're using Windows, it's time you get a Mac. ;o)
Why Get a Kindle?
- It fits into clutches. Never again will I have to carry a bigger bag just because I want to read.
- You know one of those annoying people who sneak peeks at your book cover just to know what you're reading? No more.
- You can sell all your books and make room for more shoes!
- It's cheaper to buy e-books, and you can share e-books with your friends no matter where in the world they are.
- Trees don't have to die because you want to indulge in a little chick lit.
- You can read Caperucita Roja on the train and not be mortified that people would find out you're reading a kid's book. Never mind it's in Spanish, and your grasp of Spanish is pathetic. You're still reading a kid's book.
I'm a sappy romantic, so I know how good it feels to read a physical book. From the tingle in your toes when you first fork out cash for it, to the excitement when you breathe in the smell of a fresh new book, to dog-earring all your favourite parts. I know it all - I've done it for years. But the Kindle is so convenient - any bookworm's dream come true, I tell ya.