photo by pearled
Whilst sitting around watching the telly with a bunch of friends earlier, someone casually asked during a commercial break, "If you were going to die tomorrow, what would your last meal be?"
See, I spend a lot of time thinking of questions like these when I have to interview celebrities, and I also tend to have answers to these questions myself. Sometimes when my usually-jetlagged interviewees give me a half-arsed answer, I feel inclined to go, "But you know what I think?" Of course they don't give a flying fuck what you think, Faz.
Anyway, because the commercials ended before it got to my turn, I had to write about it. My last meal will be long, and elaborate, and I will eat using mostly only my fingers without any cutlery, because I do think that's the best way to savour food.
- Oysters Fresh oysters. I haven't eaten enough oysters to know which ones from where I really like, but for now, I'd like oysters when I am about to face my maker.
- Prata Since there ain't gonna be a tomorrow, I won't feel guilty about eating fried dough.
- McSpicy Double I've been craving this for months now, but haven't given in. I figure I would deserve the best thing McDonald's have come up with.
- That fresh scampi pasta in Bruges. OMFG.
- Tex Mex Specifically Maudie's Rockin' Ruthann's, two pulled chicken burritos drenched in delicious topped with onions, queso blanco and queso amarillo. Sweet God.
- Mum's badass rendang.
- The most amazing street meat in the world that I had one winter's evening outside MoMA.
- Thai Express' glass noodles in seafood tom yum soup & stuffed chicken wings.
- Fideua negra.
- Lamb kebab the size of my forearm from that place in Hamburg.
- Chocolate con churros from Chocolatería San Ginés in Madrid
- Prawn chee chong funn, otah & har gao from 126 Dim Sum in Geylang
- Confit de canard from that place in Paris Thibaud took me on my birthday last June.
- One last bigass pastrami sandwich from Katz' Deli in New York City.
- Plain fluffy white rice that my Mum has made to perfection.
- Eggs benedict with smoked salmon. And lots of Hollandaise.
- Fried chicken from No. 5
- Spicy-till-I-wanna-cry sambal belachan with anything.
- Mum's curried fish roe.
- Cocopops. With full-fat milk.
- Lara's tortilla
- Nutella cake from Da Paolo's Gastronomia
And all of this down with milo and sparkling water. Would you like to be invited to my last meal? ;o)
What will your last meal be like?